Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January Pantry Challenge!

Just thought I would let everyone know what we'll be doing this month!
We are participating in the January Pantry challenge! What's a pantry challenge, you ask? Well it's simple-a pantry challenge is just a time to take a good look at what you have in your fridge,freezer and pantry and try to use what you have as much as you can for a month.
January is a great time to do this,since the new year usually brings with it thoughts of decluttering, organizing and reducing-especially spending once we get that credit card statement from December!
Plus the cold weather is perfect soup,stew and chili time-a great way to use up those odd bits and pieces that end stuffed in the back of pantry or freezer.
Now, this doesn't we won't be grocery shopping this month! I'll be buying fruits,veggies and dairy like we always do,but what I will try to do is instead of automatically filling my shopping cart every time I go grocery shopping, I'm going to try to limit my purchases to fresh produce and dairy and for the rest, try to use what we already have. Which turns out to be quite a lot.
Those bags of zucchini from this past summer? Zucchini bread! That left over Turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving-turkey noodle soup!
That mystery meat hiding in the back of the fridge since 2010? OK, that gets tossed. The idea is to use what you have, not poison yourself and you family! ;)
We'll see how I did at the end of the month. It should be interesting to see how much food we already have in the pantry and freezer, and how creative I can be using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment