Sunday, March 4, 2012

Growing Things

I've been restlessly waiting for the weather to get warm enough to begin my seeds, but in the mean time what's an anxious garden-a-holic to do?
Why, grow celery of course! I recently came across a great little article explaining how to grow your own celery from store bought celery, and just couldn't resist giving it a try myself.
Especially since it takes 2 minutes and zero effort on my part-my kind of project!
Basically this is what you do:
Buy your celery,bring it home and cut off the bottom end, about 2 inches from the bottom. You could skip the second step and do this in the store or your car, but people might be alarmed seeing a chubby middle age woman wielding a knife to poor defenseless vegetables. Then again, in my area, they most likely wouldn't even notice anything out of the ordinary.
Anyway, once you have removed the bottom off your celery, simply place in a container of your choice with a couple of inches of water and wait 3-4 days.
I chose used cottage cheese containers, because I like to keep it classy.
After a couple of days, you should see fresh little leaves beginning to grow from the center of the celery, and tiny new roots sprouting off the other end. Once your celery is growing, plant it with just the new leaves peeking out, fertilize well, and mulch with 3-4 four inches of well, mulch. I just used leaves from the compost pile. Again, I like zero effort. Don't forget celery likes to be kept pretty moist all the time!
You can plant yours outside in the ground-I chose to put my celery in a medium pot, because if left to it's own ways, celery will span out like the petals of a flower and take up a lot of space. I am going to solve this problem by setting a 2-liter bottle with top and bottom cut off over the plant, thus confining it to it own space. Plus I'm hoping to move it indoors when it gets cold and keep harvesting!
Celery can be continuously harvested I have been told-I have never done this, so I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully we will be getting celery until it freezes in the fall!
One added thing-I happened to have 2 celery bunches, one organic and one not, so I did this to both of them. The organic celery grow at almost twice the rate of the regular one,providing an interesting comparasin, even Hubby could appreciate. We wonder if the regular bunch had been treated somehow to prevent sprouting somehow. Hmm... Even Hubby mentioned the organic celery looked healthier than the regular one,so it must be true!
We'll see which one does better when I plant them both. Unless the squirrels eat them that is. Do squirrels even like celery?

No comments:

Post a Comment